Friday, March 1, 2013

Black History Month

We began our black history unit a few weeks ago which I noted here in a past posting.  We began with Martin Luther King, Jr., followed by George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks and then Harriet Tubman.

We wrapped up our unit this week focusing on our president, Barack Obama.  We learned all about his life in Indonesia and then Hawaii.  The kids were excited learning that he had two daughters not much older than them and one of the boys in the class was in awe when he realized that the First Lady's name rhymed with his mom's name! :)

I had been looking for the perfect opportunity to attempt a watercolor painting and I thought a portrait of Obama might be it.  I'm trying not to break my arm from patting my back so hard (ha!) - because I can't even tell you how thrilled I am about these watercolor results!  Check it out...





I think the kids felt like true artists when we were done with the paintings.  I see many more watercolors in our future.

To bring our black history unit full circle, we discussed what all the black Americans had in common.  Some said they all helped us - yes.  Others said they were all smart - yes.  But the message I wanted them all to leave with is that all of these black Americans wanted some form of peace - a better place for everyone to live united as one.  They each made an impact in their own way to bring all Americans together.

The kids thought about what they could do to bring peace to our country or to our world.  We made Peace Kids that displayed our messages so that our commitments to peace could be seen by all.





Our final display for Black History Month currently hangs in our hallway - just in time for Dr. Seuss Week, St. Patrick's Day and the beginning of Spring.  What goes up, must come down, I guess...I dream of cork covered walls to hang everything up all year long!




No comments:

Post a Comment