Monday, November 19, 2012

Quiet Before the Storm

Thanksgiving is almost here and while we have been working hard learning about the holiday and all of its exciting associations - turkeys, Pilgrims, Native Americans, the Mayflower and loads of food - I've decided to hold off on sharing our activities until later this week.  I wouldn't want anyone to overindulge :)

Instead, I thought I would share some of the things we did last week that we all really enjoyed.  To drill those sight words further into the kiddos brains, I taught them a game called Hedbanz.  This game is a popular game you can purchase at the store, but I created my own version using our thinking crowns and flashcards.  The kids loved it and did an AWESOME job. 








We finally got around to putting those rocks I requested to use.  Thank you to those parents who had to go on a spontaneous hunt for rocks in their backyards - you now have a pet to come home to instead - a pet rock!  After we completed our rock unit, I promised the kids we would make pet rocks, but time kept slipping away from me and more than a week had passed.  FINALLY I carved out some time so the kids wouldn't lose all faith in me :)  They turned out great!








We also made human shapes - with our bodies, that is.  Rectangles, circles, squares, triangles - the hexagon was the most interesting.  The kids quickly grasped the concept of sides and angles and the differences between the shapes.




Stay tuned for All Things Thanksgiving coming later this week!  Have a wonderful holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment